My mum’s gone to Venice until monday with my brother, leaving me home alone, and it would be an understatement to say I’m jealous. I may be eighteen and I should be an adult but I miss her warm presence and the sound of pottering about upstairs or the vague noise of the television on in another room. It’s eerie being home alone with nothing but my pet rabbit and a mountain of revision. It’s lonely.
I was browsing Pinterest the other evening for food inspiration and came across a nectarine pizza. My initial thought was “oh my goodness, this looks delicious. I need to make one!” But that was soon followed by “I am such a messy cook and the last thing I want when home alone is to do loads of cleaning.” So instead I thought about incorporating similar flavours in a meal which is lot more efficient to prepare.
So behold these nectarine and cheese stuffed peppers (with carrots and cashew nuts for extra flavour). They are so easy to make and the fruity burst combined with the roasted peppers is like an explosion of summer in your mouth. Yummy.
for two, you will need…
- 2 peppers
- 1/2 carrot
- a tiny handful of cashew nuts
- 1/2 nectarine
- small slice of cheese
What to do…
- Cut the top off your peppers and take out the insides
- put on a baking tray with a drizzle of oil on top and place in the oven for about half an hour until roasted
- cut the carrot and nectarine into small chunks ready to pop inside the peppers
- when you take the peppers out, fill with the carrot, then cashew nuts, then nectarine and finally top with cheese.
- pop back in the oven for about 10 minutes so the cheese is all melted
- Best served with potato wedges and a salad of spinach, buttered cabbage, cucumber and celery 🙂