With this time of the year comes the arrival of the pumpkin pie. Sweet, creamy and delectably warming, it’s a faultless conclusion to a dinner. But how about eating it for main course? How about making it savoury? The result: Just as good, perhaps even better.
All you need is…
4oz wholemeal flour
A couple of table spoons of water
1 small pumpkin
1 sweet potato
All you do is…
- Begin by taking out the inside of your pumpkin, chopping into small pieces and pre-cooking alongside chopped up sweet potato for approximately 25 minutes until soft.
- Produce breadcrumbs by rubbing the butter and flour together with your fingers.
- Mix in the mixed spice (I didn’t measure the quantity but the more the better, I’d say!)
- Then gradually add the water until a mixture is formed.
- Place the pumpkin and sweet potato in a blender and whizz together to create a delicious slush
- Roll out your pastry mixture on a lightly floured work surface and then transfer to a flan dish or something similar.
- Tip the pumpkin and sweet potato into the dish and flatten with a spoon so it’s evenly spread.
- Place in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180 and then, finally, dish up and enjoy!
Best served with roasted kale topped with cinnamon (and an assortment of vegetables which in this case were green beans, broccoli and sweetcorn.)